Monday, February 08, 2010

I'm new here

"I'm New Here" (released today, February 8th) will be a landmark recording by pioneer spoken-word poet/musician Gil Scott-Heron.  Check out "New York is Killing Me."

I dare not post the video for "Me and The Devil," the remake of the Robert Johnson song (I am not a horror movie aficionado, and to my never-seen-the-Exorcist sensibilities, it qualifies as one).  Find that nightmare on YouTube yourself.

It occurred to me that if you watch the video for the blockbuster anthem by Jay-Z and Alicia Keys, "New York State of Mind," right afterwards you get the antithesis of Scott-Heron's New York and can see how two halves might live in this city.   Jay-Z's is a seductive, Disneyfied version, while Scott-Heron hints at the ineffable desperation of those who might take the worse of two different lines: bought or sold.

No comments: